What is Robocopy?
Robocopy, also known as consistent file copy (due to its English translation of "Robust File Copy") is a command that we can use within the command console of Windows 10. Therefore, it is recommended that you know what the CMD command prompt is.
Robocopy's purpose is to transfer files that contain a specific directory. This process is typically relatively faster than conventional file transfer. A downside to Robocopy is that it requires knowledge of Windows command lines. This is why most users avoid this transfer mode.
Use Robocopy to copy files and folders faster
In case you want to try or use this interesting function in Windows, we recommend that you read the following guide where we will explain in the simplest and most basic way possible how this tool works and how to use it to move files between your storage drives.
How to copy files and folders faster using Robocopy?
Of course you can copy a list of files with one click in Windows. However, the process of copying entire files and folders with Robocopy is quite simple to perform. If you are unsure, we recommend that you follow the instructions below to the letter:
- First of all, you need to open the Windows command console also known as CMD. This can be done by going to the start menu and directly searching for "cmd".
- Once you have located the CMD application, we recommend that you right-click on it and select the "Run as administrator" option. When you do this, the Windows console will appear on the screen.
- There you will go through the whole process, which is quite simple. Just place the code «Robocopy» and then, you need to indicate the source folder and the destination folder. Eg: robocopy C: Download C: Games.
- It should be noted that you need to write the robocopy code, use a space, write the source folder, and finally the space and destination folder. If this is not done, the program will not work.
- Once the address has been entered correctly, press the «Enter» key, after which the file transfer process should begin. Therefore, all files will be moved from one folder to another.
- Other than that, there are some configurations you can do when making the transfer, however, this is only recommended for advanced users. You will be able to access these codes via the following link provided by Microsoft Robocopy codes.
Is Robocopy worth using?
Il file transfer via Robocopy is usually quite fast, so it's considered one of the best alternatives to Windows Explorer. Therefore, it is useful if you want to move large amounts of files from one space to another on your computer.
It's definitely something you should know in case you find yourself needing to reorganize your files. This feature is present in all versions of Windows, and could also be particularly useful if you are having trouble moving documents from your computer.TagsTutorial PC