How to enter password on USB memory without programs?
Some people probably do not consider it necessary and important to put a key on USB memories, discarding that normally various information and even personal data are stored in these devices. Therefore, we recommend enter a password and the best part is that through these steps you will not need any programs; but you can also put passwords on files on a USB memory.
Likewise, you need to keep in mind that there are some differences in the steps to activate the password, as it depends on the operating system of the computer. For this reason, in this post we will tell you how to do it in Windows, MacOS and Linux, also you shouldn't download a program, as luckily the computer allows you to put a password on the USB.
Add password for USB in Windows
Undoubtedly one of the most used operating systems today is Windows. It also allows us to protect the our USB memory by inserting a key on it and the best thing is that it's quick and easy:
- The first thing to do is to insert USB memory into your computer. Then press the Windows Start button and search for the Control Panel.
- Choose the option "System and security".
- Once there a window will open with different options, you have to choose "BitLocker Drive Encryption".
- Select the unit you want to insert.
- Then click "Enable BitLocker", once there, two methods to lock the drive will appear. You need to select “Use a password to unlock the drive”.
- Then you can choose where you want to save the backup of the password
- You can also choose which part of the drive you want to add encryption. Depending on this, the process can be faster.
- Next, you need to choose the encryption mode.
- Finally, a window will appear with all options you have selected and finally confirm the process. It may take some time depending on the size of the USB drive.
Insert the USB key in MacOS
In this system this process is much simpler and faster, you just have to adhere to the following steps:
- Insert the USB memory
- Then look for the device icon and choose the option "Encrypt"
- Finally, enter your password and it will be locked.
It should be noted that if you encrypt your USB memory, you can only use it in macOS operating systems. If you just want to encrypt, put and password protect a folder in Mac OS you can also do it in a simple way.
Set the password for USB in Linux
Come in macOS, in Linux the process is really quick and easy:
- Insert the USB into the computer
- Then right click and select the option for format the volume
- Before being formatted, you can enter the password you want, then save it and you're done with the process.
What are the advantages of inserting a key into a USB memory?
While it may not seem necessary, entering a password on the USB memory offers great benefits to user privacy by keeping information safe. In this way, in case of loss or theft, no one will be able to access your data or files stored there. Plus, you will have the opportunity to save what you want without fearing that someone else will see it.
Another of its main and important advantages is that through this method your information will be protected and isolated from malware. However, yes recommends that you create a password easily forte and easy to remember, but very personal, so that other users cannot decrypt it.
Finally, we hope this tutorial has been helpful to you, however we would like to hear from you Were you able to set one password for your USB stick? Do you know that you can encrypt folders and files for free without programs? Leave us your answers in the comments.TagsTutorial