We already warned a few days ago the intention on WhatsApp on introduce a new option in the app, which would allow us to share our profile with other people via our QR code, which would allow the rest of the messaging app users to add us to their contact list, without having to provide our phone number.
Now this feature is available to all users of WhatsApp via the latest beta version of the application, available for download on the Google Play Store.
Share your WhatsApp profile using your QR code
There are several applications and platforms that, at some point, have opted for QR codes as a way to add new contacts. At the time, Twitter was already doing this, and other messaging apps such as Google Allo –DEP– also introduced similar systems. In the case of Facebook itself, Messenger also includes the ability to add new contacts via their QR codes.
Now, it's WhatsApp joining this trend. Thanks to QR codes it will be possible share our WhatsApp contact with other people you just met or with someone who, for some reason, has not yet added us to their contact list in the messaging app. It will also be possible scan other people's codes directly from the application.
To use this new WhatsApp feature, you just need to follow these steps:
- Download and install the latest beta version of WhatsApp on your mobile if you don't have it yet.
- Open WhatsApp and tap the three-dot icon at the top right. Then tap Settings.
- A QR code icon should appear next to your username. Touch it.
- Your QR code will appear on the screen next to your phone number. You just have to show it to the other person so they can scan it using the app.
- If you want to scan another user's code, tap the Scan code tab.
- You can also share your code as an image. To do this, tap the Share icon at the top right and choose the application through which you want to share the image with your WhatsApp QR code.
- Finally, if you want to reset the QR code so that the sent invitations and the previous code stop working, you just have to open the options menu at the top right and tap “reset QR code”. In that case, when someone else tries to scan the old code, a warning will appear stating that the code is no longer available - you can test it with the code in the image at the top of this article.
That's all. IS an extremely simple function, but undoubtedly it can be of great convenience in certain situations, and I am very afraid that in not too long it will become the most used way to share WhatsApp profiles. Now all that remains is to wait for the option to be ready to be included in the stable version of WhatsApp and for it to reach all users of the messaging app.