We may want to check if our password is leaked, because in Gmail, Hotmail and Outlook email accounts we have a lot of valuable information, while services like Netflix, Spotify or Disney+ are coveted by hackers to resell accounts.
Especially after learning about the massive leak of billions of passwords, that might interest us. Fortunately, there are security companies that collect data from leaks and hacks to make it easier to audit if we are interested.
These are the steps to follow:
- We access a specialized service in leak collection, for example, at the link below:
Web: Checking Leaked Data Online (CyberNews)
- Subsequently, we will enter the email associated with our account in the «enter your email» box and click on «check now»:
- We will receive the outcome which, if positive, will indicate in which security incident the email and password were leaked:
- Now we need to create a secure password for the email and change it as soon as possible. Even in services that share the same password, so it would be advisable to use a different one in each, to prevent a leak from affecting us massively.
- One option is to use a password manager or save passwords in Google Chrome, so it's easier for each service to have its own without having to remember them all.
- It's also a good idea to turn on step verification for services that support it, especially email accounts.
- We've covered how to turn on two-step verification for Gmail, we also have a two-step verification tutorial for Outlook/Hotmail.
Unfortunately, neither Netflix nor Spotify offer this two-factor verification, which is available on many gaming platforms (Xbox, PlayStation, Steam, Epic Games Store, etc.) and also on Google, Apple and Microsoft services.
With these simple steps we can check if our password has been leaked, unfortunately everything will be more complicated if an account is compromised and we will have to change the passwords of the services that share it.
Most Interesting Articles
- best sites and apps to watch live soccer from pc tv android ios free and paid